Chinese Visa Application — A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visa

FOR YOUR REFERENCE ONLY. Always contact the Chinese embassy or consulate general in your country or region for the most up to date information.

The following documents should be submitted when applying for Chinese visa:

  1. Passport with at least 6 months remaining validity and available blank pages for visa
  2. One properly completed visa application form, which could be obtained from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in person, or by mail with a pre-paid return envelope, or be downloaded from the following website:
  3. A recent passport-size photo stuck on the visa application form

Chinese visa is a permit issued to a foreigner by the Chinese visa authorities for entry into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a Diplomatic, Courtesy, Service or Ordinary Visa to a foreigner according to his/her identity, purpose of visit to China and passport type.

The Ordinary Visa consists of eight sub-categories, which are respectively marked with Chinese phonetic letters L, F, Z, X, C, G, D, J-1and J-2.

L Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China for tourist purposes, family visiting or other personal affairs.

F Visa: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months. also see:

Z Visa: Issued to an applicant who is to take up a post or employment in China, and their accompanying family members also see

X Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China for the purpose of study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period over six months. also see:

C Visa: Issued to crewmembers on international aviation, navigation and land transportation missions and family members accompanying them.

G Visa: Issued to those who transit through China. also see :

D Visa: Issued to applicant who is to reside permanently in China.

J-1 Visa: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

J-2 Visa: Issued to foreign correspondents on temporary interview missions in China.

Validity of Visa: normally speaking, a visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance (date of application) and on any day within this period, the visa holder may enter China.

Duration of Stay Specified in the Visa: normally speaking, a visa holder may stay in China for 1 month which counts from the date of his/her entrance into China. To stay longer, you need to specify your request in your application form and it’ll be subject to the permission of the consul in charge.

Overseas Chinese Visa Authorities,

Related Articles

  • Kowloon-Canton Railway CorporationKowloon-Canton Railway Corporation Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) is wholly owned by the Hong Kong SAR government and based in Hong Kong. It owns and operates the Kowloon-Canton Railway (KCR) and the Light Rail […]
  • Hongqiao AirportHongqiao Airport Hongqiao Airport is one of the two airports in Shanghai.HistoryHongqiao Airport once had the international flights into Shanghai. As soon as Pu Dong International Airport appeared, […]
  • Dealing With EmergencyDealing With Emergency Hopefully no emergencies will occur during your visit to China but, just in case, here are some tips on how to deal with them.In China, the Public Security Bureau (Police) is responsible […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>